Pagoda Chinese Youth Orchestra 40 Years celebration programme
Pagoda celebrated its 40th Anniversary of its official opening last year, and with the Pagoda Chinese Youth Orchestra and Dance Group’s 40th anniversary this year, a series of Programmes have been organised to celebrate this milestone, as well as showing the talent of the young people in the orchestra.
- Chinese New Year 2023 (22/01/2023) Join the Pagoda Chinese Youth Orchestra’s 40th anniversary, as they kick start their celebrations with a series of performances on the most important date in the Chinese Calendar – 1:30pm on Sunday 22nd January at the Pagoda Arts Centre.
The Pagoda is home to the largest Chinese Youth Orchestra in Europe, which has achieved international acclaim under the direction of Zi Lan Liao. The Pagoda opens its doors and welcomes you to enjoy a variety of performances on dance, taichi, and music.
For school, college, and group workshop bookings, please call 0151 233 8833 in advance.
- Pearl River to Mersey River (27/01/2023) is an evening of instrumental music and folk singing from China.
Showing musical development from the Warring State Period (475-221BC) to the present day, as well as some modern music from LIMF and TIAN commissioned by Culture Liverpool. China has been influenced throughout history by cultures, trade, and language from both inside and outside of the country. Through the evening, performers will showcase the diversity of Chinese music and its composition structure compared to that of Western music, and how Chinese sounds have been adapted into modern-day contemporary music.
- “Celebration of Youth” 05/03/2023 Pagoda will be hosting a showcase of young Liverpool Talent through an afternoon performance (2pm start) at the Tung Auditorium, consisting of Pagoda Arts, In Harmony Liverpool Chamber Stars, Resonate, and the Merseyside Signing Choir, all showcasing their own repertoire, as well as performing a commission by Francisco Carassco, the director of Luma Creations, combining Latin/South American music with Chinese traditional, brass band and percussive fusion to create a unique piece performed as the finale.
- “Celebrations of Generations” 06/05/2023 For this evening Performance (8pm start) we will be inviting back our alumni as well as our ensemble to perform alongside each other at the Liverpool Philharmonic Music Room. The programme will consist of fusion music, ESEA folk music, Latin/South American music and Irish folk music. A new piece for Guzheng (Chinese Harp), Oboe and Chinese Percussion, written by Ian Stephens and commissioned by Pagoda Arts, will also premiere on the night.
- “Celebration of Legacy” 15/07/2023 Jah Wobble will once again be working with Pagoda Arts, for this performance he will be working with 2 ex members “TIAN” a duo of two brothers, (both members at the time of Chinese Dub) who grew up playing music with the orchestra and are now creating fusion music together. The performance will be in commemoration of Mr. K. H. Li the previous Musical Director of the Pagoda Chinese Youth Orchestra, marking the 10th anniversary of his passing.
“Celebration of Friendship” 28/10/2023 (Timings TBC) The pagoda Chinese Youth Orchestra and the Liverpool Welsh Choral will be performing alongside each other to commemorate those who lost their lives fighting in World War 1 and World War 2. They will also be performing a piece of music written by Ex orchestra Member Charlie, who worked with both the Liverpool Welsh Choral and Pagoda Chinese Youth Orchestra to compose a piece for both an orchestra and choir dedicated to the Chinese Labour Corps, many of whom lost their lives during World War 1.
For tickets and more information on these performances please click the link at the bottom of each bullet point